We are quickly approaching that time of year when seasonal allergy sufferers fear – Spring. That’s right, while many of us are looking forward to the warmer weather and the spring flowers, other’s are dreading the onslaught of seasonal allergies. With April showers come May flowers and pollen. And watery eyes and runny noses. But fear not, we have some great tips and tricks to combat those symptoms.
1. Check the pollen count every day so you can plan your life around this. Consider downloading the Pollen.com Allergy Alert app. Not only does the app allow you to check pollen levels in multiple locations, it also contains an allergy diary so can keep track of your symptoms. Moreover, it’s free to download.
2. If you have outdoor activities in mind, then do them after a rain shower. This is when pollen count will be at its lowest.
3. If you are particularly susceptible to allergies caused by pollen. Consider As soon as changing your clothes as soon as you get home. This will ensure that you do not transfer pollen from outside all over the house.
4. Clean mold in the bathroom regularly to avoid the spread of mold spores. Good ventilation is key in removing allergens so make sure the bathroom and kitchen are well aired to help remove excess moisture.
5. A overtly damp home allows for mold spores and dust mites to grow and multiply. So consider buying a dehumidifier to reduce moisture levels in your home. Just make sure you purchase a dehumidifier that fits your size home and area you want to dehumidify, as well as the climate you live in. To ensure allergens are at their lowest levels, keep the humidity in your home below 50%.
6. Did you know that indoor air is often five times more polluted that the air we breath outdoors? So why not consider investing in an air purifier. One of the latest on the market is the Dyson Pure Cool™ HEPA Air Purifier and Fan. The unit automatically purifies to remove gases and 99.97% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.3 microns. Also captures ultrafine particles including pollen, mold and bacteria. The machine is Certified asthma & allergy friendly™ by the Asthma Society of Canada.